July 12, 2012

Vanilla Coconut Overnight Oats with Homemade Peach Compote

Breakfast is - without a doubt - my favorite meal of the day.  

Truth be told, I am one of those people that wakes up seriously hungry (no joke, my tummy is growling the moment I roll out of bed)! Maybe that's why I love overnight oats so much.  As if you couldn't already tell from my Recipage, I make a practically endless variety of this breakfast favorite, including (but certainly not limited to):

Counting today's post, the ABC blog will include a complete dozen oatmeal recipes!  Needless to say, if you like a filling/flavorful/fun breakfast, this is the blog for you!

Today's overnight oats recipe is slightly different - and a bit more summery- than my other oatmeal recipes, because it includes Homemade Peach Compote.  If you aren't a fan of peaches, you could easily switch things up by using blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, pears, etc. instead.  I don't know about you, but I have always loved recipes that can be "cook's choice"!

So, what are we waiting for?!

Oh, right...you need the recipe first, huh?!


Vanilla Coconut Overnight Oats
Serves 1

1/2 C oats
pinch salt
2-3 packets of stevia (or 2-3 tsp sugar)
1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1 1/4 C water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp coconut extract

Directions:
  • Place the oats, salt, and stevia in a small saucepan.
  • Mix together.
  • Add the milk, water, vanilla, and coconut extracts.
  • Bring to a low boil; and then immediately reduce the heat to low.
  • Simmer for five minutes.
  • Pour into a Tupperware container, and refrigerate overnight.
  • Loosen with a small amount of milk in the morning.
  • Serve warm, or cold, depending upon preference (I'm weird and like mine cold...especially during the summer!).

Homemade Peach Compote
Serves 2-3

1 large peach, finely diced
1 packet of stevia
4T water
1T maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4T cornstarch

Directions:
  • Place the diced peach, stevia, water, maple syrup, and vanilla into a small saucepan.
  • Bring to a medium boil, and then immediately reduce the heat to low.
  • Using a potato masher - or large fork - to mash the peaches until a gel-like consistency forms.
  • Stir in the cornstarch and whisk vigorously to remove all lumps.
  • Continue simmering for five minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
  • Pour into a small jelly jar and refrigerate to cool.
  • Serve as you would any fruit compote or jam (i.e. on toast, mixed into oatmeal, etc.).

In the morning, after loosening up the oats with a small amount of almond milk, I added a couple of dollops of soy yogurt, and 2-3 T of the Homemade Peach Compote right onto the top of my oats.  After a few bites, I ended up mixing the yogurt and compote into the oats; and I'm not exaggerating when I say that this was the best. bowl. of. oats. I have EVER had the pleasure of eating!

YUMM-O!

Next up - The secret to restaurant-quality hummus that NO ONE tells you!  If you love hummus, come back tomorrow for the big reveal!

Question of the Day:


What is your favorite flavor of jam/jelly/compote/fruit spread?  Mine would either be peach of blueberry!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

3 comments:

  1. You are very welcome Cristeen! Thank YOU for stopping by the ABC blog...I hope to see you back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love raspberry jams and spreads, but they're so dang expensive. I have a peach in my fruit basket now...hmmm..! Can't wait for the hummus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week strawberries were on sale, so I am going to try and make the compote with them. I will let you know how it turns out!

      Delete